- For a small manufacturing firm, found savings and efficiencies that grew pretax profit 35%
- For a direct-mail retailer, improved overall warehouse efficiency by 18% including a tripling of inventory counting speed and a 75% reduction in errors
- For a sales force doing warm calling to prospects and leaving voice mails, quadrupled the call-back rate
- For a financial advisor, increased the rate of referrals provided by existing clients by 6:1
- For a sales manager, coached new behaviors that reduced activity by 40% while increasing sales 50% – a 250% productivity increase
- As Product Manager for an internet software start-up, opened the Portland development office, hired staff, managed product features and development schedule, and consistently delivered software on time for every release cycle with zero defects
- As Project Program Manager, managed 24 simultaneous projects, completing all ahead of schedule and under budget
Tom Cox has helped firms in industries ranging from retail to wholesale to manufacturing to government to business services. He has worked at IBM, Oracle, TRM, Tektronix, SCIF, ODOT, Intel, Regence Blue Cross, Standard Insurance, OHSU and dozens of others.
An honors graduate of the University of Chicago (BA Behavioral Science), Tom has published over 200 articles on leadership, management, HR, teamwork, and trust.
Tom’s interests and abilities are wide-ranging — he authored a book on relational database technology, co-authored a chapter in a textbook on trauma surgery, and ran for governor of his state.
A professional speaker as well as a consultant, Tom started his own firm in 2003 to create better leadership at all levels of organizations. Tom is a single father of a teenage daughter and volunteers helping nonprofits and job seekers in his community.
Starting in 2010 his column appears in Oregon Business Magazine’s online edition.
Tom as Host
“Tom Cox is one of those rare interviewers who is very bright and takes the time to know your work, and so is able ask really insightful questions. He was able to coax more out of me in half an hour than I thought possible. It was an incredibly enjoyable experience for me and I trust for the audience as well.” — Charles Jacobs, author of Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn’t Work and Other Surprising Lessons from the Latest Brain Science
About Tom on Leadership
Tom on Leadership is the Internet’s premier blog and podcast for CEOs and business owners.
Tom writes a twice-monthly column for the online edition of Oregon Business Magazine.
His radio show Tom on Leadership had a total listenership of over 31,000. It ran from March 2009 through February 2012.
His blog Tom on Leadership has been published since 2007.
Our mailing address is:
Cox Business Consulting, Inc.
2850 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., Suite 357
Beaverton, OR 97005