About Tom on Leadership
Tom on Leadership is the Internet’s premier blog and podcast for CEOs and business owners. CEOs love to listen, and experts love to come on the show.
“I’ve packaged my interview transcript [from the show] and in doing so gained a new appreciation for how good you are at it, and how well-prepared you were with me.” — recent guest Bob Lieberman, Cultivating Creativity
How to Get Onto the Show
Tom suggests you follow these steps to be considered as a guest on the show:
- Send me a 1-2 sentence pitch showing how a CEO would want to hear your message, and what problem you solve for CEOs (if you *are* a CEO, just say so).
- Include a link to a recording of you speaking, either audio or video. I only care how you sound, not how you look.
- Include a link to the Amazon.com listing of your latest book, if any.
- If your book is recent or you want our interview to cover the book, send me a copy 1-2 weeks in advance at the address below. (Sending a book is actually more likely to get you considered — if the book is good.)
- Listen to one or two episodes to get a sense of how the interviews flow.
Once you are Scheduled on the Show
Once you are accepted, be sure to read the Guest FAQ. It contains the call-in instructions and other vital information.
Then, do some pre-show publicity to ensure your network of contacts all know you’re going to appear — that gives them a chance to tune in, or listen to the podcast later. This could include:
- Tweet about your appearance — the day before and the day of the show
- Post the link to your episode on Facebook and similar sites with the date and time of the live broadcast — up to a week before (you can create an Event for this purpose) and right before you go online
- Update your Linked-In status to reference a link to your live broadcast, and optionally create an Event for the interview — up to a week before. Update your status the day you go on, again with the link to your episode
- Mention the show in your newsletter, and include a link
Finally, after the show, be sure to:
- Link to BOTH the unique show page (on BlogTalkRadio.com) and blog entry (on TomOnLeadership.com) for your interview. Blog articles are done usually within 48 hours of your episode
- Download the MP3 of your interview from the main show page here
- Edit the MP3 for your own purposes, as long as you keep the intro audio in place, and link back to the show
Tom as Host
“Tom Cox is one of those rare interviewers who is very bright and takes the time to know your work, and so is able ask really insightful questions. He was able to coax more out of me in half an hour than I thought possible. It was an incredibly enjoyable experience for me and I trust for the audience as well.” — Charles Jacobs, author of Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn’t Work and Other Surprising Lessons from the Latest Brain Science
Tom writes a twice-monthly column for the online edition of Oregon Business Magazine.
His radio show Tom on Leadership has a total listenership of over 17,000 as of January 2011, and another 450 subscribers on iTunes.
His blog Tom on Leadership has been published since 2007.
Send Books and Correspondence to:
Tom on Leadership, c/o Cox Business Consulting, Inc.
2850 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., Suite 357
Beaverton, OR 97005